5 Foods You Should Be Eating Right Now
Stretch your palate to look and feel better!
By Keith “Temple” Trotter
In today’s age of colon cleanses and detox drinks we have become somewhat obsessed with keeping the approximately 21 feet of pipes in our guts clean. Now don’t get me wrong, it’s important, mission critical even, but what about the 100,000 miles worth of blood vessels running through the rest of our bodies? What are we doing to keep them healthy and flowing optimally? Well my friends fear not, your man Temple is here for you. So without further ado, here is my list of 5 foods that if you’re not already eating, you should be.
- Avocados: According to a recent study published in the Journal of the American Heart Association, consumption of one avocado a day as part of a moderate-fat, cholesterol lowering diet, has additional LDL lowering effects and non HDL lowering effects. In a nutshell, LDL = Bad; HDL = Good. It’s the LDL that clogs the arteries and the HDL that keeps them free and clear. Here’s a cool way to get your daily dose of Avocado goodness.
- Pomegranate: Not enough can be said about the health benefits of pomegranate. First and foremost, it’s delicious, and that is a blessing since usually the taste of trying to eat healthy is an exercise in intestinal fortitude. Not so with the lovely pomegranate. Known as a healthy powerhouse, this fruit contains vitamins A, C and E, as well as folic acid. It also contains three times as many antioxidants as both wine and green tea! If you aren’t already enjoying this formidable fruit, you need to be.
- Turmeric: This is the main spice in curry and it has been touted as quite possibly the most powerful herb on the planet when it comes to fighting and preventing disease. Currently there are over 6,000 published, peer reviewed articles demonstrating the benefits of this super herb and its active compound curcumin. Turmeric is most noted for its power to protect and heal damaged liver cells; however, studies also show turmeric to be an effective anti-inflammatory with the power to lower bad cholesterol, acts as an anti-coagulant, and is effective against chronic pain. If you’re not already a fan of the heavenly goodness that is the curry, here is another delicious way to get this beneficial herb into your system.
- Ceylon Cinnamon: Take my word for it, just put it on everything. It smells like memories of happy childhood mornings, it reduces cholesterol, cleans out your arteries, and is full of antioxidants that promote cardiovascular health by protecting your blood cells from oxidation. Early studies show that Cinnamon may even have a glucose lowering effect in type 2 diabetics when taken as a supplement. Cinnamon…just do it!
- Green Tea: Green tea has been used as a health supplement for millennia and is arguably the healthiest beverage on the planet. Green tea has been proven to aid in weight loss and increased brain function. The tea also kills certain bacteria in the mouth preventing disease and keeping the kisser, well kissable. Find a way to steep your Turmeric and Cinnamon in green tea and you’ll have a tasty beverage that will have your body and brain in beast mode all day.
So there you have it. Five foods you need to get in your shopping cart on a regular basis that will help keep your body, veins, brain and arteries clean and working at peak efficiency year round.
About the Author:
Chicago Native and Twin Cities area author and founder of the Temple Global Consulting Group,Morgan James bestselling author Keith “Temple” Trotter started off as a successful finance and operations manager. His life changed forever when a photo of him weighing 386 pounds showed up in his Facebook timeline. Since then he has lost over 160 pounds and his incredible journey has been featured in The Huffington Post, on Dish Network and CNN.com, along with countless radio interviews. Temple is passionate about helping others lose weight and make sustainable, transformative change in their lives. Connect with Temple on Facebook on twitter @TempleTrotter at www.100smallsteps.com or the blog at www.100smallstepsblog.com Tune in every 3rd Thursday of the month at Noon to hear Temple and Co-Host Skye Edwards talk Health & Wellness on the Simply Haneef Radio Show. http://www.blogtalkradio.com/simplyhaneef